Peer Review of Procurement and Project Documents
* Over many years and in respect of many projects, including oil and gas exploration in New Zealand and in the South China Sea, tunnels, bridges, dams, and other civil engineering works.
* In the last few years, in respect of a proposed new gas-fired power station for Genesis Power; in respect of over $200 million worth of building projects for University of Auckland, and for numerous multi storey buildings including over 12 hotels.
* Recently in respect of various Auckland infrastructure projects, having a total value of hundreds of millions of dollars.
* Member, Project Control Group for the Auckland Rail Electrification Project, including EMU Procurement; and for the Underground City Rail Link.
Probity Auditor / Adviser
* Probity Auditor for the Auckland Public Transport Integrated Ticketing Project.
* Probity Auditor for the first phase of the Auckland Rail Electric Units (EMU) procurement.
* Probity Adviser for the end of the second phase of the Auckland EMU procurement.
* Probity Adviser for the first phase of the Auckland Rail Electrification Traction Tenders.
* Probity Adviser for the first phase of the Auckland Rail Electrification Signalling Tenders.
* Probity Advisor for EMU Depot Project.
* Probity Advisor for the Auckland Underground City Link Project.
Independent Legal Adviser to the Engineer for the Contract
* A number of appointments in this capacity, including the second stage of the development at Macraes Mining in Otago, and for the Vector Tunnel Project in Auckland.
Project and Procurement Experience
Project Documentation and Long Term Contracts
Electricity: New Zealand (acting for Electricity Corporation of New Zealand, and Transpower)
Oil and Gas: New Zealand (numerous), Fiji (Petrochemical) (acting for BP)
Geothermal: Republic of Philippines*, Republic of Indonesia*, Republic of Kenya*, New Zealand*, Greece, Azores, Ethiopia, Government of St Lucia (West Indies)*
Construction: New Zealand, Australia, Republic of Singapore, Hong Kong, Fiji*, Malaysia, Western Samoa*, Republic of Indonesia
Forestry: Fiji, New Zealand
Mining: New Zealand
* in these cases the Government (or Government owned corporation) was a participant and I was acting for the Government agency concerned or the Government’s bankers, or the other party.
Some Examples of Major Project Documentation and Procurement
All work has included, where necessary, all insurance issues, tax and royalty ramifications, take or pay arrangements, etc.
(a) New Zealand, many major construction projects, either preparation of the procurement and contract documentation or interpreting it and giving regular advice in respect of:
· Waihi Gold Mining Company project
· Macraes Field mining project
· NZ Refinery Expansion
· New Zealand Steel Mill expansion
· Huntly Power Station
· Tongariro Power Scheme
· Tauranga Joint General Committee Scheme
· Wellington Regional Council storage lakes
· Various dams, tunnels and other major civil works
· Oil and gas exploration
· Pipeline projects
· Clyde project
· Ohaaki Power Project
· Numerous tower buildings and hotels.
(b) New Zealand since 2007 – Project procurement and contract documentation, peer review and probity advice:
· Wellington Regional Council EMU Procurement (through the predecessor of NZTA)
· Electric Train Units (EMUs), Auckland Rail Electrification
· Auckland Rail Electrification Traction Contract
· Auckland Rail Electrification Signalling Contract
· Auckland Public Transport Integrated Ticketing
· University of Auckland, all major capital building projects.
(c) Indonesia, preparation and/or vetting all documentation for Kamojang Power Station and subsequent expansion.
(d) Singapore, Hong Kong and Malaysia - preparation of project documentation or vetting and advising in respect of pipelines, tunnels, major civil works, oil terminal wharf etc
(e) Kenya, geothermal development
(f) St Lucia (West Indies), geothermal development
Some Examples of Long Term Contracts and Preparation of Pricing Formulae for Long Term Supply of:
Electricity Corporation of New Zealand Limited, wholesale sales
Trans Power New Zealand Limited, pricing of transmission
Indonesia, some preliminary work on long term pricing
Government of St Lucia (West Indies), long term supply
(b) Geothermal Steam
(i) New Zealand for NZ Ministry of Energy/Fletcher Challenge Joint Venture in respect of the Tauhara Field
(ii) Indonesia, Indonesian evaluation study for MIGAS and PLN. This was a major project involving visits to Perth, California, Philippines and four visits to Indonesia
(iii) Philippines, advice to the Government in respect of Decree 1142, when it was drafted in 1977; also preparing a Service Contract and Energy Purchase Contract with the EDB
(iv) Government of St Lucia (West Indies) steam royalties
Fiji, wood supply agreement for Government of Fiji/BP joint venture for woodchip mill
Forestry Corporation of New Zealand - Fibreform joint venture